Friday, August 12, 2005

Remember When...

Remember when you just turned 16 and couldn't wait to drive anywhere and everywhere? For hours and hours? And you could put $5 of gas in your car and be set for the whole night?

This morning I cursed my car, the traffic, and the fact that I have to drive at all.

Remember when you could go out all night every night of the week and party like there was no tomorrow? And you didn't care if you missed class or had to called off your crappy part-time job?

Last night I couldn't wait to get home and go to bed.

Remember when you used to complain because you'd get home from school at 3:00 and had to do an hour of homework?

Now I just try to make it out of work before dark.

Remember when you were mad because you had to spend a few hours doing homework over the weekend?

Now I try to cram in housework, yard work, laundry, grocery shopping, and quality time with my husband and son - all in a very short 48 hours.

Remember when you would spend hours and hours on the phone with friends, talking about anything and everything, and your parents would yell at you to get off the damn phone?

Now I pray that the phone doesn't ring at night because I spend all day on the phone at work, and it's the last thing I want to do at home.

Remember when all you could wish for was getting out of school and moving out of your parents' house so that you could be an adult and do whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted?

Now I long for the care-free days of youth, where I had minimal responsibilities, free room and board, a home-cooked meal every night, and all the money I had was spent on whatever the hell I wanted buy.

So my big question is this: What the hell happened to my youth? I woke up one morning and I was old. A responsible adult with all of these responsibilities. What happened to that fun girl who was always the life of the party? Why does she now long for the nights where she can go to bed early? Why does she dream of the days where she can just sit around in her pajamas and not have to do a damn thing except watch movies or take naps? How did this happen to me?? It's like I went from 16 to 60 in one fell swoop.

I'm very sorry. Today Lo Lo is just feeling a bit nostalgic. But don't get me wrong - I love my life! I love my hubby and my son! I know I've strived all along to get to this point in my life. I guess today, I'm just feeling a little blue thinking about what used to be.

On a happier note, tonight Mel and I are going out for the first time in a very long time, and I'm planning on getting wasted, getting into a fight, getting kicked out of the bar, and making out with someone. Just for old time sake. I can't wait to come home, $60 dollars poorer, with a massive headache, and no recollection of what I did over the course of the evening.

Fasten your seatbelt, Melanie. It's going to be a bumpy evening. YEAH BABY!

Okay, who am I kidding? I'll have half a Bud Light, get all giddy, and fall asleep at the table.

Good times, my friends. Good times....

22 Comments:

Blogger Melanie was here said...

LoLo, I heart you so much. It's like we are the same person. Although I rarely get to bed as early as you and do go out a lot...but hopefully I'll get preggers soon and that will all change.

I can't wait to go out with you tonight. We are going to have a blast - and you are drinking at least two full beers or we aren't leaving.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job... Where are you two lovely ladies off to this evening? I had two drinks myself last night, and had a blast. I do agree that I can't wait to get home and into bed some days myself. And the drinking goes a little harder every time. But it's still so much fun to be out of moms house!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

Mel: You may have to carry me out of that bar.

I heart you, too :)

Soon as that baby comes, we'll be planning so many play dates we won't have TIME to sleep!!

LW: I'm not sure where we're going. Mel has the directions. I definitely could use a drink after the week I've had :)

8:51 AM  
Blogger Melanie was here said...

We're going to hit a couple strip clubs - Lo Lo digs the ladies, and then see where the wind blows us.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

Okay, first of all, I don't swing that way. But if that's where you want to go, Mel, so be it. I'll wait outside where the floor ISNT'T sticky. And if you are interested in blowing, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on that as well. Sorry to ruin your evening!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Melanie was here said...

D's going to be so disappointed.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

I know someone else we can ask to do it....

9:25 AM  
Blogger Melanie was here said...

I don't think Frank is available tonight.

9:25 AM  
Blogger honkeie said...

All I got to say is if you dont let that inner child out to play he/she will leave you. We all grow old, but not all of use grow up lol. And you better drink more than 1/2 a beer....that is just disgracfull!

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... Mel, you better not party it up too much. I happen to be going to west 6th street tomorrow night, and hope to run into you guys!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Melanie was here said...

I won't party it up too much - I'm the designated driver so only a 12 pack for me!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

H2: No worries. I'm going to be so immature tonight, I'll embarrass the living hell out of Melanie and everyone else there!

Mel: Just a 12? Cutting back, are we???

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel-That is a 12 pack of wine, right?

LW-Can't wait til tomorrow. Call us when you get down there, so we can try to hook up. :)

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel is gonna call me when you guys are down there... It will be a blast! I'll find a guy to buy all the drinks

11:02 AM  
Blogger Melanie was here said...

LW - Rachel won't be down there until later. We'll be down early so call Sue or me. Can't wait to get my sister LOADED!

Sue and Lo Lo - a 12 pack of Jaegermeister!

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet diggity!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

LoLo... I'm in cleaning hell. Help me! Help me!

Sob.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

UBI!! YOU'RE ALIVE!!!

I'm glad to hear from you.

I'm on my way!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LW-Sweet! I can't afford downtown drinks!

Mel-You go girl!

LoLo-Have fun tonight!

1:31 PM  
Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

I've read this like 3 times and I haven't commented because it hits too close to home. At least I'm in good company.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

My whole house is clean, LoLo. Days of piled-up laundry, both refrigerators, floors mopped from melted ice dripping out...

Now, to get ready for Ubergirl Elder's 5th birthday party.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

Brooke: Yeah, it's a bitch getting older...

Ubi: Congrats on the clean house. Doesn't it suck that it will be dirty again in a week? What a thankless job.

Happy Birthday Uber Elder!!!

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home