Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Get Your Hands Off My Baby!

So now that the little one is finally allowed to go out, we have been trying to take him out a few times a week. We don't want to overdo it.

Yesterday, we went on a tour of the Lake County YMCA Dream House. It's $12 a ticket, and you get entered into a drawing to win a $450K house. We decided to go together as a family.

We were having a great time and just about to leave when this little old lady walks up to us and asks how old the baby is. We tell her he just turned a year. "Oh bless his heart" she coos. And then she jolts forward and grabs his face with her hands.

Now, I don't know where her hands have been. They could be filthy. You just don't know. What if she went to the bathroom and didn't wash her hands? What if she just shook hands with someone who was filthy?

You know, we took all of these precautions for over a year to protect our little preemie, and this old coot could have undone it all in one fell swoop.

I wish I could hand a sign around my son's neck that says "Do not TOUCH the baby!"

I really don't know where people get off touching strangers' kids. I would never touch someone else's baby if I didn't know them. EVER. Even before all of this happened with our son. And now, even with friends' kids, I always wash my hands (or Purell) before doing so. There are so many germs on our hands. And when you touch a baby, they immediately put everything in their mouths, so they are basically eating your germs.

I guess I'm over-reacting a little bit. I know the lady meant no harm by it. She was just wanting to be sweet, I'm sure. But it's just really awkward. I certainly couldn't bust out the wipes and wash his face in front of her. I'm sure she would have been totally offended.

But all I'm saying is: Keep your hands to yourself. If I don't invite you to touch my child, DON'T. Is that so wrong??

11 Comments:

Blogger Melanie was here said...

FIRST

You should have threatened to break that old biddies hip if she didn't step away from the baby!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

You're right - I wasn't quick enough on my feet. Threating to break a hip always works!

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow. You weren't wrong at all. I will make a remark about a baby, but never ever touch them. There are too many crazies in this world that might use that to take kids. You were right on!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

Really, what about smiling and playing a non-obtrusive game of peek-a-boo?

You should have bitten her.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree that the little old lady may have overstepped the kid's personal space and may have wanted to check w/mom and dad before doing so.

however, i've always been under the impression that it's ok to be exposed to some germs...how else will your body build up an immune system if it's never exposed to anything? when we were all kids, i'm sure that things such as purell and antibacterial soap didn't exist, and none of us caught any weird diseases...

10:39 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

LW: Thank you! I know I'm extra overprotective because of all my son went through. But still, don't touch someone else's kid. Sheesh!

Ubi: Next time I will bite the beeyotch!

Janks: I agree that we need to be exposed to germs. But for the first year of his life, docs told us that if he ever got sick, he would wind up back in the NICU (due to his chronic lung disease, premature immune system, etc). So we basically had him in a bubble for 12 months. It's hard to get past feeling that way. You just want to protect your child from everything. And I think I'll probably have a nervous breakdown the first time he gets sick. And if that old lady is the cause of it, I'll hunt her down and break more than her hip!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

completely understand lola.
forgot the situation we're dealing with here. i'm just glad to see the little tyke out and about (even if skeevy old ladies are prone to cheek pinching!)

1:05 PM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

Okay, Janks, so I can totally count on you to help me kick this old bag-of-bones' ass?? :)

You will know very soon how protective you will be over your little one. Your life will change in an instant forever. But for the better, I promise!

1:15 PM  
Blogger John said...

you're not alone sister.
http://bigtool.blogspot.com/2005/03/keep-your-fucking-hands-off-my-kid.html

4:27 PM  
Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

You need to attach a projectile vomiting button to the little guy. That'll learn 'em!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

John: Thanks. I feel better :)

Brooke: Great idea! I'll get to work on it right away :)

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home