Friday, August 05, 2005

Why Me?

So last night I decided to run into the drug store across the street from work to pick up a few things. It's not in the best area, so I just wanted to get in and get out without incident. Yeah, right...

I walk in the store and I'm there all of 3.2 seconds, when this filthy man in a wheel chair with a pic line still taped to his arm, rolls up to me and says, "Excuse me, do you know where they keep the air fresheners?" What The Phuck???!

I told him that I was sorry, but I don't really know where anything is because I don't normally shop there. He just sat there, looking up at me. I wanted to say, "Actually, why don't you forgo the air freshener all together and head directly to the soap aisle? Cuz, dude, you smell like ass!" But I didn't. I just smiled and wished him luck and finished my shopping.

I got up to the register and this creepy middle-aged dude with a big furry mustache was ringing me out. He was making idle chit chat, which I just pleasantly nodded along with. I pull out my credit card, he asks credit or debit, and then I slide it through the little machine on my side of the counter. My name pops up on the screen, and nothing else happens.

"Do I need to do anything?" I ask, innocently. "No, no. You just sit back and relax, and I'll take care of everything" he cooed. Just then, I got the shivers and threw up a little in my mouth. I could not get out of there fast enough!

The worst part about it all is that when I got home, I realized that I got ripped off. The "Buy One Get One Free" lipstick rang up regular price. I wasn't paying attention at the store, due to the weirdness that surrounded me. So now I have to go back there and return my lipsticks. And, as you can probably imagine, I am so very eager to get back there....

I don't know what it is about me, but any freak, weirdo, psycho, oddball kook within about a 30 mile radius, is somehow drawn to me. Stuff like this happens to me all the time. At my old job, I traveled all the time. We would go out to bars in a group, and the weirdest, creepiest freaks would always single me out and approach. Homeless men would hit on me, men who didn't speak English, old dudes, drunken fools, and the list goes on and on. I have so many stories I could tell you, but you'll have to wait and read the book.

Anywho, Mel suggested I go back there today on my lunch break, so as to avoid another incident. I will keep you posted on what happens THIS time around. Wish me luck :)

19 Comments:

Blogger Ubermilf said...

I say we conduct an experiment. We put you and Dilf together and see who attracts the weirdo first.

Or, perhaps, like two negative numbers making a positive number, you two will repel the weirdos?

I'd be interested to document this. On film.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

I'm ready for my closeup, Mr. Demille!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Captain Beefheart said...

I was charged for two items and should have got one free, I'd weigh up how much it cost against how much I didn't want to go back to the creepy place.

$1.99? Yeah, I'll pay that not to spend my lunch hour standing in a queue at the chemist.

$11.99? Out of my way, grandma! Fuck your heart medicine, I'm Taking Care of Business!

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what store you are talking about. I've been there one time to try to get my dad nose spray. Needless to say, I didn't make it in there long enough to find the isle. It's a creepy store.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

Captain, I did consider that. But the lipsticks are $9.99 each and I got charged for two, bringing my total to $19.98 BEFORE TAX. That's a lot of money for lipstick. And yes, I will be knocking old grannies over and rolling crazy wheel-chair dudes the fuck out of my way to get my money!

6:53 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

LW: Wanna come with me? I'm scared!!

6:53 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

Great story, I have lots of drug store stories myself from a store downtown where I work.

And, there is nothing worse than getting out of there and realizing you got screwed on your "free" items.

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm... Let me think about that... no thanks... If you really need me to, i'll do it. I've been told that my chest is intimidating, so that might help, but i don't think it will scare off the crazies!

7:50 AM  
Blogger John said...

you and my friend Sarah are like freak attracting twins separated at birth.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would make that triplets. I attract the freakiest of freaks... Once someone told me I had a beautiful eye. I couldn't imagine what was wrong with the other one

8:34 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

John: At first I thought: I'd like to meet Sarah. And then I realized I could potentially be labeled as a freak attracted to her....

LW: That's hillarious! Some dudes have all the right moves ;)

9:03 AM  
Blogger Melanie was here said...

I think before any meeting you should define the parameters of freak and freak attractor. It just makes sense.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Fella said...

I have no idea what's going on.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Melanie was here said...

Do you ever, Nick?

10:13 AM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

He doesn't get it because at work, HE'S the creepy guy behind the counter.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

Good one Mel

Ubi: Now it all makes sense :)

Poor Nick

10:33 AM  
Blogger Fella said...

What you talkin?! I don't help people.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

You're still creepy.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

CREEPY!

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home