Friday, June 10, 2005

Toe-Tappin' Tunes and Sappy Sad Songs

As I was cranking the tunage on my way into work this morning, I decided to compile a list of my top 10 faves. When you have a really long commute (like me or Mel), you have lots of time to think about what you're going to blog about for the day. Okay, so here goes:

Top 10 songs that make me crank it up and smile:

1) "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi.
(I love, love, love anything by this band - I celebrate their entire musical carreer - but this one just happens to be my favorite)

2) "Groove is in the Heart" by DeeeLite.
(This song reminds me of going to the underage lame-ass dance clubs on Sunday nites, and dancing like a raving lunatic because we just got hammered in the parking lot before we went in)

3) "Good Vibrations" by Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch
(For those of you who don't know, this man makes me drool. And even though he dedicated his "autobiography" to his dick, I still think he is hot, hot, hot)

4) "Give a Little Bit" by Goo Goo Dolls
(Even though this is a remake, I dig it. And for some reason, while I'm usually pretty good at memorizing the words to songs, this one causes me to be lyrically-challenged. However, I still crank it up and sing along - wrong words and all)

5) "Today" by Smashing Pumpkins
(I just like the words to this song. And even though Billy Corigan reminds me of a slimy jerkweed I used to date who stole money from me and treated me like shit, I still like his music. Although I've heard his poetry makes him look like a no-talent ass clown)

6) "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor
(This song is dedicated to every loser jackass that dumped me and thought I would be permanently scarred. Well guess what? I'm doing just fine. In fact, I'm better than fine. I'm fantastic and my life is wonderful, so Phuck you!)

7) "Brown-Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison
(This is a song my dad used to sing to me when I was a little Lo Lo. Plus, my girlfriend dedicated it to me at her wedding. And what's weird, is that I have brown eyes, too!)

8) "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-A-Lot
(First of all, Lo Lo got back. Secondly, we played this song at my wedding, and one of my good friends "smacked that ass" during the whole thing. Gotta love the girl-on-girl action. Good times, good times)

9) "Boot Scootin' Boogie" by Brooks & Dunn
(My parents, who are wonderful dancers, have an anniversary the day after me and hubby. (Don't worry - they were married 30+ years before us!) Anyway, at our wedding, we surprised them by dedicated this song to them, and they got out on the dance floor, did their kick-ass routine, and got a standing O. While they were both a little pissed about it (embarrassed is more like it), it was the one part of the reception people talked about for months & months. Hey, it's a lot better than: Hey, remember the guy who got so shit-faced at your reception that he vomited all over and passed out in the crapper!?)

10) "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond
(My parents used to be huge Neil fans. When I was younger, they went to lots and lots of his concerts. I remember them playing this song on the old record player at home. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.)

Top 10 songs that make me weep like a girl:

1) "Thank You" by Dido.
(This song was the song my husband and I danced to at our wedding. It wasn't supposed to be this song, but the stupid ass DJ forgot to bring the song we wanted to dance to - See #2. Nonetheless, I like the song, and I'm sending a "thank you" out to my husband. Although he knows nothing about my blog!)

2) "I Love You Just the Way You Are" by Billy Joel
(This song was playing in the background the first time Mr. Lo Lo told me he loved me. It was supposed to be our wedding song, but the stupid ass DJ phucked up and forgot to bring it - See #1. Oh, and the lame ass tried to "make it up to us" by playing the Barry White version. Incidentally, not the best remake....)

3) "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle
(Since my dad always used to give me butterfly kisses when I was a girl, we danced to this song at my wedding)

4) "My One True Friend" by Bette Midler
(I danced with my mom to this song at my wedding. I think it's a rip-off that mothers of the bride get slighted. So both of my parents walked me down the aisle - since they both raised me - and I danced with both of them at my reception)

5) "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womak
(This is the song we dedicated to our bridal party at our wedding. I just love the words. In fact, my hope for all of you readers is that YOU dance! Oh, and I think I'm done with the wedding references. Sorry...)

6) "Live Like You Were Dying" by Tim McGraw
(Just a few days ago, I actually listened to the words. This song made me weep for about an hour!)

7) "A New Day" by Celine Dion
(My husband and I had many complications trying to have a baby, and then our son was born 3 months premature. He is just perfect now - in fact he'll be a year old next month! - but this song just reminds me how much he was wanted, how much he changed my life, and how much I love that little monkey!!)

8) "I Will Remember You" by Sarah Mc Lachlan
(This song, of all things, reminds me of my dog, Zach, who died. He was such a good dog with an awesome personality. And this song came out right when he passed. I love you little buddy, wherever you are!)

9) "Heaven" by Live
(I love the words to this song. When he references his daughter... well, that's how I feel about my baby. "I don't need no one... to tell me 'bout Heaven.... I look at my daughter, and I believe!")

10) "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFarren (Is that his name? Oh, who cares!)
THIS SONG SUCKS SO MUCH, IT PHYSICALLY PAINS ME AND MAKES ME CRY!

Anyway, that's a little insight into the complexity that is Lo Lo. What are your faves???

16 Comments:

Blogger Ubermilf said...

Different songs have made me cry at different points in my life. When my grandma died, Green Day's "Time of Your Life" was out, and made me cry.

My neice died when Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" or whatever was out, and made me cry.

"Baby Mine" from Dumbo used to make me cry.

Groovy tunes: I also like your #2. Old cheesy disco songs, like KC and the Sunshine Band. Sex Pistols. Ballroom Blitz. Love Rollercoaster as done by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

"Time of Your Life" is a great song. Although I didn't originally think this was supposed to be a sad song, it makes me weepy too. Mostly because years ago they played it on ER when Dr Anspaw's son died of cancer.

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma and your neice! Death is hard enough when someone who has lived a good, long life passes; but it is especially difficult and unbearable when it is a young child.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

Yeah. She was just 18 months old. My sister still can't watch or hear of sick infants. On the upside, she wound up having a big sturdy hunk of a son who is now 10.

I also like "Tijuana Taxi" by Herb Alpert and "Situation" by Yaz and "What's New Pussycat" by Tom Jones

9:17 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

"What's New Pussycat" makes me think of Steve Martin in "Father of the Bride" a classic! I'm afraid I don't know the other 2 songs. But now I am intrigued!

9:19 AM  
Blogger John said...

this is all good stuff. However, in the future please go from 10 to 1 so there's some anticipation. Otherwise it's like them announcing the winner of Miss America then spending the rest of the pageant telling us about the losers who didn't win.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

IT'S ALIVE!

Where have you been, Man? You okay? And the boys? Are they alright? There is some speculation as to what's been going on with you. I'm just glad you're back in the land of the living.

Oh, and as for my list, read it backwards. Pretend you're in another country or something. I promise my next list will be more to your specifications. Sheesh!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Melanie was here said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Melanie was here said...

John - great to see you are back. For awhile Lo Lo and I figured you were wearing your Speedo on the beach somewhere, or maintaining the wedding tackle!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Captain Beefheart said...

OK, top ten tunes for turnin' it up are (right now, and in no particular order):

10. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns 'n' roses (no, I don't have a mullet... any more...)
9. Another One Bites The Dust - Queen (see above)
8. I-76 - G Love and Special Sauce
7. Quiet - Smashing Pumpkins
6. Bang Bang (Audio Bullies remix) - Nancy Sinatra
5. A Love Supreme - Anga Diaz
4. Waterloo - Abba
3. Y.M.C.A. - Village People
2. Straight Outta Compton - Niggaz With Attitude
1. Sharks - Morphine

Ask me tomorrow it'll be different, natch

3:31 PM  
Blogger Captain Beefheart said...

As for sappy sad tunes, I get as far as Stay With Me Baby by Ruby Turner, then keep bursting into tears and not getting any further :o(

3:46 PM  
Blogger GingerSnaps said...

let me just say, my obsession with bonjovi has gotten out of hand. a friend of mine that owns a bar used to have it in the jukebox even though he hated them. I played it everyday, one cause I love them(born to be my baby), two because I knew he hated them(bastard).I came in one hot summer day hoping to listen to my jonny and POOF he was gone...smartass grin from my friend...he took him out forever.

oh jonny...Ill be there for you...

8:33 AM  
Blogger GingerSnaps said...

captain...I also love the guns..I think I might have written a blog about them once..

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a list per se' but somewhere in there has got to be Heartbreaker by LZ, Fat Bottom Girls by Queen, Nothing On But The Radio by Gary Allan, and I'm sure I'll be thinking of this all night, so maybe more tomorrow.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-a-lot is wicked. We played pool all night to that in a bar (Captain Beefheart were you there that night?). It was a video juke box as well. I think most of the bar was ready to kill us after we put it on for the 20th time.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Captain Beefheart said...

Drunken pool and pissing off punters? Sounds familiar!

3:06 AM  
Blogger Lo Lo Lova said...

Captain: Good choices! Wow, NWA - haven't thought about them in years. I LOVE that song. That one and "F%$# the Police"

Lil Red: Welcome to my blog! I'm so glad to know another JBJ fan. Mel and I are huge fans of the man and the band. Good stuff!

Brian: "Fat Bottom Girls" a classic AND a song about LoLo. Excellent choice!

White Boy Bob: Wicked is good, my man. Wicked is good!

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home